Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Bittersweet Beginnings

Today was the first day of school.  My 6-year-old started FIRST grade.  And of course I felt like time had flown by.  It was bittersweet.  Happy and exciting for him, but a little sad for me that he's growing up.

A picture book I read to him a couple nights ago also has a bittersweet beginning.  I cried.  But the ending is WOW!!!  Well worth your time to check it out.  It is a story I will cherish.

 Angel Girl by Laurie Friedman, illustrated by Ofra Amit

This story is about an experience from WWII.  Herman, 11, is forced to go with his brothers as his mother tells him to lie and say he is 16 because she knows it's the only way to save his life.  A girl begins bringing him an apple each day, which gives him sustenance and hope.  Years later, he moves to America and goes on a blind date, only to discover that she was his angel girl of years past.

The cover says this is based on a true story, but based on two comments on KISS THE BOOK, it apparently was a lie.  So I guess it's pure fiction, but it's still a great story.  You can decide for yourself if you think it's true. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Share your thoughts below.

AddToAny

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...