Saturday, December 18, 2010

Picture Books for Christmas

I know most of us give picture books away for Christmas; I do too. But I also do something else that is a lot of fun. I have 24 picture books about Christmas and winter that I wrap up with the old wrapping paper each year. We have a mini 2-foot tree that we use as an advent tree because I have something I wrote up called "The 24 Symbols of Christmas." Each day, the children get to choose an ornament (with its corresponding symbol) to decorate the tree. Then the other child gets to open a present, one of the picture books I had previously wrapped up the year before. It's a lot of fun and they don't bug me about getting gifts because they know they get to open one each night. Some of the books we've read so far are:

  1. The Christmas Sweater by Glenn Beck
  2. What the Little Fir Tree Wore to the Christmas Party by Satomi Ichikawa
  3. Nutcracker by E.T.A. Hoffmann
  4. The Care and Feeding of a Grinch by Max the Dog, as told to Bonnie Worth
  5. The Night Before Christmas by Clement C. Moore
  6. B is for Bethlehem, A Christmas Alphabet by Isabel Wilner
  7. The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy by Jane Thayer
  8. The Littlest Christmas Tree, a tale of growing and becoming, by Janie Jasin
  9. Merry Christmas Mr. Snowman (OLD...Wonder Books, 59 cents)
  10. The Crippled Lamb by Max Lucado
  11. The Snow Bear by Miriam Moss
  12. Thomas' Christmas Delivery illustrated by Tommy Stubbs
  13. The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg (I had never heard or read this book until after the movie came out.)
  14. This Is the Season Beloved of the Year, artwork by Simon Dewey
  15. A Christmas Treasury, The Children's Classic Edition, illustrated by Christian Birmingham
I'm actually short a few books, as we only have four or five more to open (and don't quite have the full 24 yet), but I'm always on the lookout for more good ones!

What are some of your favorites? Did A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens make your top 10?

5 comments:

  1. That is SUCH a good idea! Way to be creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are a few more ideas:

    The Little Fir Tree, by Margaret Wise Brown
    Bear's First Christmas, by Robert Kinerk
    Who Will Help Santa This Year? by Jerry Palotta
    Who Will Guide My Sleigh Tonight? by Jerry Palotta

    ReplyDelete
  3. We celebrate Hanukkah at our house, but one of my all time favorite PBs is "My Penguin Osbert," about a little boy who asks Santa to give him a real live penguin fr Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love this idea. I'm totally doing it next year!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely tradition. My son got The Snow Bear from Santa at the Christmas party. I meant to order more christmas pbs this year, but accidentally left the order form by my bed, too late to order. I am going to find some different ways of collecting pbs this year hmm..

    Happy Christmas Christie!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Share your thoughts below.

AddToAny

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...