Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Skippyjon Jones

This week's READ-4-LUCK pick is Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner. I first read this book about a year ago in a bookstore. I knew it was a big seller, very popular, and had multiple sequels. My first impression is that it was weird. And long. But it's grown on me. I love Skippyjon!
Skippyjon Jones, is sent to his room to contemplate what it means to be a cat, but instead embarks on an imaginary adventure in which his Zorro-like alter ego, El Skippito, rescues a group of chihuahuas from a bean-eating bumblebee.
Publisher: Dutton
Year: 2003
Word Count: 1073
Book Level: 3.3

RATINGS
CHILDREN:  My daughter's been checking these out from her school library (preschool) for months now. I've read Mummy Trouble and Lost in Spice now, too. Children love looking at the animals. My son loves the action scenes.

PARENTS:  I love reading the Spanish parts! It's so fun to read over and over again (but not every night).

TEACHERS:  Another vocabulary lesson, especially in Spanish. And definitely a wonderful character study! Have students create their own character sketch using a graphic organizer.

WRITERS:  I'm looking forward to taking a closer look at the plotting techniques used in this one by mapping out the plot points.



Which Skippyjon Jones book is your favorite?


Keep on keepin' on...

5 comments:

  1. It's funny, I had the same initial reaction as you to Skippyjon. The book and the character have grown on me too, and my kids do love them. I think I like the original best, but they all work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Julie. I had the same initial reaction! My son bought this at a book fair, and I just never got it. But my son loved it, and that's what mattered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read it, but I've heard of the books. And you know what? The reason I never read was because I'd heard they weren't very good. SHEESH! When will I learn to make up my own mind. I will read them now. Thanks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christie,

    I only met Skippyjon recently, when Megan sent me a copy of Skippyjon Jones and the Big Bones (she sent it as part of a global picture book exchange)!

    We don't get Skippyjon over here, which is a shame because he grew on me! Like you I was slightly unconvinced to start with, but after a couple more reads I was hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone for your comments. I know Julie Hedlund and 1 or 2 other folks left comments. Apparently they were eaten by the cyber space gremlins. I did get to read them, though! Thanks, again!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Share your thoughts below.

AddToAny

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...