Wednesday, February 1, 2012

READ-4-LUCK: The Rooster's Gift by Pam Conrad


READ-4-LUCK is the weekly feature that acts as a book recommendation, book review, teaching tip, and writing lesson for children, parents, teachers, and writers.


 = Not bad. Might read twice.
 = Fun read first few times. Would get from library again.
 = Very enjoyable. Would like to own a copy.
 = So glad I read it. Just gotta have my own! Never tiresome for children, parents, teachers, or writers.


This week's pick is The Rooster's Gift by Pam Conrad, illustrated by Eric Beddows.
"Young Rooster thinks his gift is making the sun rise, until one morning when the sun rises without him."
Publisher: HarperCollins
Year: 1996
Word Count: 1950
Book Level: 3.7
Age: 4-8
Topic: Animals (Roosters)
Theme: Character and Values, Friendship, Self-worth
First Page
     "Once upon a hill, in a brand-new chicken coop, there were ten tiny chicks who had just broken out of their eggs, dried off, fluffed themselves up and looked around. 
     An old farmer and his wife looked down on them and the chicks heard the woman say, 'Sure hope one of them's a rooster.'
     Then the old couple left the chicks to wonder."

RATINGS
CHILDREN: 
 Children love crowing with the rooster. It's a bit long, but they really do love it. So sweet.

PARENTS:  The lessons of friendship and understanding are great. The word play in the beginning is lots of fun. Favorite line: "Well I'll be plucked! The sun came up anyway!" The illustrations toward the end are spectacular.

TEACHERS: 
 Great introduction in 2nd grade for animals, especially if you're going to hatch a few hens of your own. (However, I'm not sure every single word is scientifically accurate...about the eggs?) The lesson of believing in yourself and helping others is a wonderful way to teach character development. Just awesome. Have children write down what they want to be when they grow up. How can they achieve their dreams? What can they do to help someone else realize theirs?

WRITERS:  I give this a three because the challenge is in re-writing this book in your own words, just for kicks mind you, you know, like a lesson and all. Shorten the word count, add more word play. Pick up the pace a bit. What a FUN exercise! Go ahead, try it, you just might like it!

Be sure to visit other "perfect picture books" at Susanna Leonard Hill's blog.

Keep on keepin' on...

11 comments:

  1. I like this way of reviewing things! I'll see if I can find this at my library in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chicken books, can't wait to read it. Thanks Christie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a sucker for a good chicken book. "Left the chicks to wonder..." HA! I can just see their confused little faces. Thanks for sharing this one - sounds like lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you do your reviews! Thanks for sharing the Rooster's Gift with us Christie!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This review is great. I love the wordplay to, "Well, I'll be plucked!" Great line! This sounds like a wonderful addition to the list. Thanks Christie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting way to do a review -- thank you for those thoughts for all viewpoints. This sounds like a delightful book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a handy way to review. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love how you review books. You give so many different perspectives. This books sounds like fun for kids. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a fun book. I appreciate the word counts, because this one would have to be a Mommy book. My son couldn't sit still yet for that word count.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent review! Thank you for sharing, i'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cover illustration looks great! I like how the rooster thinks he makes the sun rise!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Share your thoughts below.

AddToAny

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...