Monday, June 25, 2012

Welcome to the All-new Poetry Monday!

Over here at my little neck of the woods, I have a Poetry Monday once a month. I love poetry. I love children's poetry. I love reading and writing poetry. I love rhyme and word play and every element that can be found in poetry. So why the focus to share with the world?

As with all my reasons for blogging, the biggest one is to motivate me to do the things I know I need to do to reach all my writing goals. I have a huge idea brewing in my mind regarding writing, poetry, children, teaching, and FUN! When I find the manpower, the business savvy, and the wherewithal to bring my idea into fruition, I'll definitely share it with all you you. Until then, I'll use my once-a-month Poetry Monday sessions to help prepare me for the future. Hopefully, we can all learn a bit and have a lot of fun.

According to my new schedule, my Mondays are supposed to look like this:
1st Monday: High Five Interview
2nd Monday: Pot-O-Gold Blogger Award
3rd Monday: Poetry Monday
4th Monday: Contest Winners and Announcements
But June has looked like this:
1st:  High Five Interview (featuring Kate Slater)
2nd: skipped
3rd: Pot-O-Gold (a week late - award goes to Corey Rosen Schwartz)
4th: Poetry Monday (pushed out another week)
(There are no contest winners to announce this month - that'll be July for SURE! The only announcement is that Summer Entries will soon be accepted as of July 1st.)

So let's jump right in!

If you're anything like me, you love poetry too! I collect children's poetry books! I scour the sale racks, the used book stores, the library sales, yard sales, and newly released titles. Today, I'm just kind of introducing the feature. In the following months, we'll explore lots of different formats, look at an example or two, and try our own hand at the form. We'll play, comment, and have a grand ol' time.

So, what are some of your favorite poetry books? Who are some of your favorite poets? Dr. Suess and Shel Silverstein are the two that first come to my mind

Have any of you had an experience where either you or one of your children or students learned a poem and it changed their life? I believe that children learn other subjects better when integrated with poetry. I think poetry makes a great introduction to all kinds of teaching topics. Are you about to teach subtraction? Use a poem to make it fun!

Keep on keepin' on...

2 comments:

  1. I, too, love poetry and rhyme and playing with words. One of my critique partners and I are very close to submitting a collaborative collection of children's poems. I came across a book recently that I think is a lot of fun and is helping me find my way to some new forms. It has lots of different forms explained and wonderful examples of each. It's called Fly with Poetry: An ABC of Poetry and is written and illustrated by Avis Harley. It's been around for quite awhile, so shouldn't be hard to find. I recommend it.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Share your thoughts below.

AddToAny

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...