Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Walking is Perfect for Summer

Growing up, my friend Natalie always "went walking." Every summer, I'd go to her house or she'd come to mine (and yes, they were within walking distance, too!) and we'd jump rope, or play games, or watch a movie, or dance to the songs on the radio. It was grand!

But, when evening came, Natalie would have to go home or I'd have to go home... 

...because it was "time to go walking." Her family walked together every evening! What an amazing family tradition! And just a few weeks ago, I met an amazing woman on one of my morning runs. Gladys is a cancer survivor.

Gladys walks every single day for an hour. 

I feel lucky to get in a 30-45 minute run 2-3 times a week. So, whether you walk or you run, if you pound the ground and add your miles, today you have the opportunity to do it in a way that can help others and really make it count!

Summer can be a very dreamy time for a child. I always loved summers. In middle school, I immersed myself in the world of books. Today, I write books.

Being able to read it the stuff dreams are made of. 

Because a dad couldn't read, he was jobless and homeless. Because a single mom couldn't read, she never read her children bedtime stories. When people can't read, God's Word seems a million and one miles away.

Give people the ability to read -- and their whole world changes. 

They can learn to do anything! They can serve more people in life. They feel empowered. Because being able to read is the magical stuff that empowers people. They have dreams. And a way to reach them.

Writers Who Run has teamed up with Greenville Literacy Association to help people reach their dreams. ALL the proceeds go directly to GLA, an organization in South Carolina that helps people learn how to read, teaches people English, helps people get their GED, and provides free or low-cost books to the local community.

The "On the Road to Literacy Tour" is a 6-week walking or running challenge. Register online and log 150 miles in the next 6 weeks. You can join as an individual or as a team. Teams are limited to 3 people. If you're like me, and you only log 5-10 miles a week, you'll probably want to join a team. Otherwise, to complete 150 miles in 6 weeks, you'd have to accumulate 25 miles a week, which a lot of runners can do easily, but I'm not a lot of runners. Please consider joining me to help GLA help make the world a better place.

You never know whose dream might eventually bless your life.


On the Road to Literacy Tour

Keep on keepin' on...

P.S. I'm on team Fancy Nancy. What team will you join?

1 comment:

I love hearing from you! Share your thoughts below.

AddToAny

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...