Thursday, November 17, 2011

Beautiful Writing Is Punful

This week's READ-4-LUCK pick is Martina the Beautiful Cockroach by Carmen Agra Deedy, illustrated by Michael Austin.
"In this humorous retelling of a Cuban folktale, a cockroach interviews her suitors to decide whom to marry."
Publisher: Peachtree Publishers
Year: 2007
Word Count: 1020
Book Level: 3.1

RATINGS
CHILDREN: 
 
Children love the animals: cockroach, rooster, pig, lizard, mouse. [Disclaimer (hee-hee): This is the second book I've chosen recently for READ-4-LUCK that has cockroaches in it. I promise I don't have roaches in my home, or a secret love for them. Although, Martina IS beautiful.] Does anyone know "who" is the one marrying (performing the ceremony) Martina to her chosen suitor? My kids say it's a praying mantis. I said maybe a grasshopper. Son said maybe it was Martina's dad? Any guesses?

PARENTS:  The illustrations are WONDERFUL! I hope my books will be illustrated this beautifully some day. Full of awesome puns, too. My seven year old is learning the art of puns.

TEACHERS: 
 Great for teaching a lesson on puns, whether for reading OR writing. Also has a great character development component to it about acceptance, kindness, and understanding. Also great to include in a folktale unit.

WRITERS:  
Did I mention I love puns? What a great retelling of a Cuban folktale! The author of this book is one of my favorites. Carmen Agra Deedy also wrote Library Dragon, which I LOVE, and 14 Cows for America, which is very touching.

Keep on keepin' on...

3 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful Christie. I'm doing a post on puns soon, I'll use this an example! Head on over to Susanna Hill's blog tomorrow because she is starting something similar to this every Friday where we can all link our own to hers and it will be used as a teacher resource! Hopefully :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christie this looks great. I love puns, and from the cover the art looks beautiful! Catherine is right - my new feature is somewhat similar to this - kind of - and you would be awesome. Please join is if you'd like to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the story and cover art is beautiful. Sounds very funny! I'm glad that you are going to join us.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Share your thoughts below.

AddToAny

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...