Monday, August 8, 2011

The Reason Behind the Read-4-Luck Column

What's the point of keeping a reading log? Why do writers keep reading logs? As a teacher, I will not assign homework to my students to keep a reading log with number of pages read and a requirement of parent signature. Nope. Won't do it. But if you want to be a writer. Er, I mean, if you ARE a writer, keeping a reading log is essential. I keep mine in a composition notebook. I reserve about 4 lines to list the title, author, publisher, date, and a brief summary. But when you read 5-25 picture books a week, it can get a little old.


That was the whole point for me starting my Read-4-Luck feature each Wednesday. I wanted to ensure that I actually did read at least one picture book and write it into my log each week. So it's a digital, once-a-week reading log to share with the world. It doubles as a reading recommendation, book review, teaching tool, and a mini writing lesson.

Keep on keepin' on...

2 comments:

  1. Great idea. As a teacher, I'm sure that can come in very handy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the post for this upcoming Wednesday. It's definitely one for teachers.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Share your thoughts below.

AddToAny

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...