Friday, February 28, 2014

89 Examples of Craft in Picture Books



PB 14:14 in 2014: THE LIST (and a few winners)
We made it!!! So here are the winners...

Week 1 - PB critique by Kristy Dempsey ... Jackie Wellington 
Week 1 - PB (Dinosailors) by Deb Lund ... Kimberly Callard
Week 2 - PB critique by Alayne Kay Christian ... Damon Dean
Week 2 - PB (April Fool, Phyllis!) by Susanna Leonard Hill ... Lauri Fortino

 *** GRAND PRIZE ***
PB critique by Lori Degman
Writer's First Aid and More Writer's First Aid by Kristi Holl
2013 Book Markets for Children's Writers from me (Christie Wild)
and 30-minute phone consult with Julie Hedlund
 *** WINNER: CECELIA CLARK ***

CONGRATULATIONS, everybody. I'll e-mail the winners tonight to verify your choices. Thank you so much for joining me. Thank you to all the followers of the event for visiting our blogs and leaving comments. Hope to see you next year!


And here is THE LIST of the Top 10 Story Elements for Picture Books with all the books we have featured during the last 2 weeks. All books on this list have been published within the last 10 years, from 2004 to 2014. Only one book was reviewed twice and both times it was for character, so that's why it's listed twice (two separate links). Enjoy and visit often!

#1: CHARACTER
#2: CONFLICT
#3: PLOT
#4: DIALOGUE
#5: THEME
#6: PACING
#7: WORD PLAY
#8: PATTERNS
#9: RHYME
#10: BEGINNINGS AND ENDINGS
And that's the monster list of mentor texts we all came up with together for studying the top 10 story elements of picture books for 2014. Enjoy! And continue to share the love. I'll be doing a Top 10 Element each month on the 14th from here on out.

Keep on keepin' on...

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations to all you winners. And thank you to all who provided these mini lessons in the various elements of a picture book. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I won a book! That's great! Thanks again, Christie for offering such a fun, informative, and challenging blog hop. I never posted 14 days in a row before on my blog, but I had a ball! And I attracted a few new blog followers and got lots more hits than ever before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful, Christie! I really enjoyed this series of studying PB elements using a variety of published book. Love that you got other people involved too. Well done! Although I was not able to participate, I followed along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been a long time since I've posted 14 days in a row. But never something this intense. I wouldn't want to do it every day of the year, but 2 weeks is definitely doable. Lauri, you get your choice of book by Susanna Leonard Hill. Just let me know which one you want. Bog hops are a lot of fun. Glad you joined us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Christie, I'd love a copy of April Fool, Phyllis! It seems like the perfect choice with spring just around the corner. Thanks so much. :)

      Delete
  5. Well, this was a priceless experience. I have NEVER posted 14 days in a row...probably never TWO days in a row. I proved to myself I could do it. And thanks for the prize! It will be hard to decide which one to submit for critique. Again Christie, lots of work and so worth it to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found it so beneficial. It always helps me when I study PBs that way. Hope you'll join us again next year! And good luck choosing which ms to submit! Would you like to submit to Alayne Christian or Lori Degman?

      Delete
  6. Oh MY Gosh really? Really? Gosh oh wow. I just uploaded my 15th review which I was going to put up on the 28th but ended up travelling three and a half hours to the city for family things and only arrived home late this evening(Sunday- oz time). Oh how delightfully delightful and extraordinarily exciting. This has been a marvellous experience full of brilliant learning opportunities. I have so enjoyed reading and reviewing both the books I blogged about and all the amazing stories everyone else shared. Thank you so much for all the interactions and information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Christie, this has been an awesome blog hop experience.

      Delete
    2. You are welcome!!! Thanks for joining us! I hope you'll return next year - with lots of friends to participate too! E-mail me your mailing address so we can send the goods out to you! It will be in several different packages, likely, and it could take a while for you to receive them. Congratulations, again!

      Delete
    3. I will certainly be telling lots of people and encouraging them next year too.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for including my book among your mentor texts! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Share your thoughts below.

AddToAny

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...