Sunday, July 9, 2017

Total Eclipse of [My] Heart

Are You an Astronomy Geek, Too?


This August 21, 2017 will the first time the United States will see a total solar eclipse across the contiguous states since 1918. I'm within 2 hours of the 100% band! I'm so excited! I even found a video about five ways to safely view a solar eclipse.



Making Memories


I don't know why I love celestial bodies so much, be it the sun, the moon, or the stars, but I do. I love the constellations and special occurrences such as solar (and lunar) eclipses. If you can, get with your children and make some memories with them. Maybe they'll turn into an astronomy geek too!

5 Ways to Safely View the Eclipse


In the video above, they list:

  1. solar shield
  2. eclipse glasses
  3. pinhole method
  4. pegboard
  5. lens solar filter

What have you used in the past? What's your favorite? It seems as though children most often use the pinhole method. It's probably the safest because it has the lowest risk of accidental exposure.

Storytelling


Lastly, I once wrote a picture book manuscript that will never see the light of day. It was about the constellations and the tooth fairy. Apparently, it was two different stories overlapping, much like the moon overlapping the sun. Can you write a story about the moon, the sun, or the stars? Who will be the star of your story?

Are you planning on watching the eclipse this August 21? If you had a chance to see it, what was it like? How will you (or did you) celebrate? Share in the comments!

Keep on keepin' on...

BACK TO TOP | READ MORE POSTS

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Share your thoughts below.

AddToAny

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...