Monday, February 16, 2015

DAY 3: Vulture View by April Pulley Sayre (Patterns)

Welcome to Day 3! I'm having so much fun hopping from blog to blog and reading everyone's comments. I hope everyone else is too!

Remember to give a few quotes from the book to give a type of mine-lesson for the element you believe that book exemplifies.

Here is the code to paste at the bottom of your post. It won't show up until you publish it live, but it works.
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.simply-linked.com/listwidget.aspx?l=81C4700B-8342-4B11-9778-964836332124" ></script>
Ya'll are all doing an awesome job of sharing all the BOOK LOVE!!! Let's continue, shall we?

Vulture View by April Pulley Sayre
Title: Vulture View
Author: April Pulley Sayre
Illustrator: Steve Jenkins
Publisher: Henry Holt and Company
Year: 2007
Word Count: 180
Top 10 Element: Patterns

This book also includes rhyme and word play, but I think the Element #8: Patterns is more prevalent. That may seem hard to do with only 180 words, but April Pulley Sayre pulls it off beautifully.

Patterns is an element in which you can utilize repetition, utilize a circular pattern, or any number of other patterns. Vulture View definitely has a circular pattern that links the beginning and ending to each other, as well as a nice use of rhyme and repetition.

The first spread opens:
The sun is rising.
Up, up.
It heats the air.
Up, up.

Second spread:
Wings stretch wide
to catch a ride
on warming air.
Going where?
Up, up! So they can...eat!
It asks, "Over there? (It is actually more specific, but with a book this short, I can't quote the whole thing.)
No, no. (a repeated pattern of the phrase up, up.)
Again. Over there? No, no.
And a THIRD time...over there? No, no. (So now you get your patterns of three, too!)

It continues by stating something that vultures:
sniff, search, seek for foods that...
...continues to next page to answer the page turn suspense.
...REEK!
Then again with the questions repeated 3 times, this time for guessing what kinds of foods.

  1. flowers? No, no.
  2. smoke? No, no.
  3. dead deer? Yes, yes!

And the next page begins with this line:
Vultures like a mess. (rhymes with yes)
Next couple of spreads share things vultures do (again). This book is educational, after all.
And then a page ends with:
But soon...
And you get another page turn.
...the sun starts to sink.
Down, down. 
There's that pattern again. No, no. Yes, yes. Down, down. And THIS pattern is also a pattern of three - used 3x in the book - 3 examples of the repeated word.
And then it repeats the opening question, which is also similar to "over there?"
Going where?Going down, down, down!
Until...
Another page turn.
...the morning sun rises.
Up, up. 
"Up, up" is repeated 3x on this final page. It also repeats the phrase "Going where?" again for a 3rd time of its use as well. 

I tried to include as much as I could without giving away all 180 words. Hope it still makes sense and that you get a sense of how awesome this book is for patterns. 

Remember to add the linky list at the end of your own post by copying/pasting from above. Also remember to add your blog link to the list below. See ya soon! And keep on keepin' on...

17 comments:

  1. So simple. So short. So smart! The right words tell this story. Love it . Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great read aloud. And I'm not a vulture fan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those illustrations are beautiful! Sounds like the language that goes with them is as well. Thanks for sharing!
    p.s. Still haven't gotten that widget link to work. Maybe because of my wordpress format?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly. I thought about asking someone if I could have access to their site to see if I could get it to work FOR them to share with everyone else. Let me know if you're interested in being a digital guinea pig.

      Delete
    2. I'm thinking the same thing Laura. Mine is wordpress too, and even though I copy/paste every day, it looks odd and sometimes doesn't work at all.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great book! We met a vulture during a zoo field trip a few years ago, and the kids were just fascinated by all the gross-out facts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh! I love the illustrations on this one. And what a neat topic -- vultures! They don't seem to appear as "star characters" very often! I love the line: "Vultures like a mess."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...the patterns are awesome.

    Boys would love the vultures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow....a book about vultures...thank you, Christie...your posts are fantastic...and I'm enjoying all the others also. Sorry I'm just getting mine up here...the day got away from me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't been able to get the widget to work either. I'm also on wordpress so let me know if you figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are welcome to play with my website, Christie...FB message me for any info you need....or email me: viviankirkfield@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this one Christie...I used the same book last year, but can't remember what element I selected. I love the sparse text also. Love April's work on all her books. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who knew that vultures would be such a hit? I guess that's why it got published. It had never been done before! Damon highlighted rhyme with this book last year. If you want to take a look, here's the link.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who knew that vultures would be such a hit? I guess that's why it got published. It had never been done before! Damon highlighted rhyme with this book last year. If you want to take a look, here's the link.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here's my post for day 3: The Bears in the Bed and the Great Big Storm.

    http://lind-guistics.blogspot.de/2015/02/pb3.html

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Share your thoughts below.

AddToAny

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...