Sunday, January 9, 2011

Writing Stress

I'm thankful for my writing stress, for that means that I have a lot of ideas and a lot of goals, just never enough time. The stress to get it all done. The stress to find time to fit it in. The stress to accomplish anything writing related. But somehow, I manage to get bits and pieces of writing in here and there.

My husband has come up with a way to pay off our 30-year mortgage, in which we still owe 25 years, in 7 years. That means, if all goes according to plan, we will have paid (I mean HE will have paid) a 30-year mortgage off in about 12 years! Wow! And then I can work part-time! Yippee!!!!!!

Today's writing tip is on story length and word count, kind of. I'm not sure if I've written about this before, but it's good enough and short enough to repeat. Also not sure if it applies to all written pieces of fiction, or just picture books. Think of your story in five chunks. The beginning should be 1/5 of the total. The middle should be 3/5. And the ending should be 1/5. Not sure where I heard it, but it does seem to be a good rule of thumb.

(I edited this blog post and put my blog award on its own separate post. That's why some of the comments here may not make sense.)

    7 comments:

    1. Christie-I love going to school too! Congratulations on your blog award!

      ReplyDelete
    2. My Christmas tree is still up too! Maybe I'll get around to taking it down by the end of January.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Our Christmas tree is on the curb with everyone else's... they all go out on Jan. 6th around here. :)

      ReplyDelete
    4. Alison, I hope they at least get mulched! ;)

      ReplyDelete
    5. Good for you/husband. I think this goes along with your quote for January. If you have a plan and are persistent you can accomplish many things. I had an enormous Excel spreadsheet where I kept track of my mortgage and got it paid off pretty quickly.
      Happy writing.
      Ann

      ReplyDelete
    6. Thanks, Cozy. I'm looking forward to working part time. I just hope I can stay employed until then.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Thanks Christie for the award and comments. That certainly made my morning on this Thursday. Good luck with your to do list!

      ReplyDelete

    I love hearing from you! Share your thoughts below.

    AddToAny

    Link Within

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...