Friday, November 16, 2012

Read-4-Luck: Because You Are My Baby by Sherry North

Wow! I can't believe it's been FIVE months since I last posted a Read-4-Luck book for PPBF. That's just way too long! When Susanna announced she was taking the summer off, I was a little bummed, but apparently I thought I needed to take half a year (with PPBF)! Anyway, I'm back and ready to share. 

I'm trying to simplify my blog. I know I don't blog a WHOLE lot, like every day...and that's okay. So my newest goal (for all the world to see) is to do my Read-4-Luck recommendations for PPBF every Friday, and then to follow that on Monday with my "new" Story Elements feature. Wednesdays are reserved for Whatever. Hey! Whatever Wednesdays! That has a nice ring to it. Well, it's for contest announcements, contest winners, High Five Interviews, and Pot-O-Gold Blogger Awards, among other things, maybe. Or maybe it could be Mixed-Up Mondays, and keep the Story Elements on Wednesdays. Anyway, I'm just glad to join PPBF again. So let's get started, shall we?

READ-4-LUCK acts as a book recommendation, book review, teaching tip, and writing lesson for children, parents, teachers, and writers. This fun weekly feature began back in October 2010 and is still going strong.  

 = Not bad. Might read twice.
 = Fun read first few times. Would get from library again.
 = Very enjoyable. Wouldn't mind owning a copy.
 = Awesome! Multiple readings are never tiresome. May just have to buy it.


This week's Read-4-Luck pick is Because You Are My Baby by Sherry North.

"Lists wonderful ways a parent, whether a rock star or a geologist, could demonstrate love for a child."

Illustrator: Marcellus Hall
Publisher: Abrams Books
Year: 2008
Word Count: 310
Age: 1-6
Topic/ Theme: love, careers/ love
Resources: see "Teachers" below


RATINGS
CHILDREN: 
The beautiful watercolor illustrations and short rhyming text definitely hold younger children's attention. Older readers may not ask for this book over and over again. My 8-y-o doesn't. My 5-y-o still loves it. Perfect for 2-4!

PARENTS: 
I love it! I own it! The rhyme is beautiful. The pictures are gorgeous. I never got tired of reading this one. So sweet. The language keeps it real.

TEACHERS: 
A great intro for any career day unit. Second and third grade, even. There are 13 wonderful jobs listed. Could even be an intro to a rhyming unit. Hey, the two could even be combined! Picture books are perfect for unit or lesson introductions. If I had my own classroom (or could get paid to homeschool) I would use them every day for lessons, and poetry too!

WRITERS: 
Rhyme? YES! Couplets? YES! Short? YES! Need an example? Here you go! Seriously, the language is so beautiful. 

Be sure to check back Monday for the next installment in Story Elements, #9 Rhyme! You'll get to peek into the book and see several of Sherry North's lyrical lines.

What's YOUR favorite Mommy/Lovey book? This is just one of the many I own. 

Keep on keepin' on...

8 comments:

  1. Great to have you back with us on PPB Fridays, Christie! Hey, I'll be popping back on Monday for the related post -great idea!

    I have a favorite daddy/Lovey book, Guess How Much I love you by Sam McBratney

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover illo looks lovely. Would like to hear the opening line though. Can't say I have a favorite, but I really liked Hush Little Baby which aCarrie reviewed a couple of weeks ago: http://storypatch.wordpress.com/2012/11/02/perfect-picture-book-friday-hush-little-baby/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Joanna. Looking forward to Monday.

    Julie, the opening line will be on Monday's post. Hope to see you there! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you're thinking out of the box and seeing a valid use for a bedtime picture book in a 2nd or 3rd grade classroom. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you return to PPBF. Very creative use of this book for other age groups. Sounds like a very lovely book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful book. I'll have to pick this up for my three-year-old.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book looks lovely, Christie! Thanks for sharing it and glad to see you back at PPBF :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like In Grandma's Arms - it makes me snuggle thinking about my babies and my mommy.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Share your thoughts below.

AddToAny

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...