Friday, June 25, 2010

A Day Late and a Dollar Short

I know of a writer that had an awesome idea for a great picture book. She had a daughter whose hair was always tangled and wanted to write a book about the tangle fairy. She put if off and years later, lo and behold, there her book was on the bookstore shelves - written by someone else!

We all know that you can't copywrite an idea, but if you fail to follow through with them, someone else may well steal it from the Muse. And you'll come up a day late and a dollar short.

I think most writers do not willingly share their ideas with others for fear that someone will steal them. But sometimes when we get an idea that is so exciting, we want to tell people about it. I get enthusiastic and energized about the idea and have to share it with SOMEONE, even if that someone is my two children. And sometimes, they get excited about it too and give me more ideas about what should be included in the book.

I have several ideas that I'm working on right now. And a list of more to work on as I finish the current ones.

Today's challenge: Make a list of five of your favorite book ideas and decide which one (or two) that you will work on now. Follow through to the end. Write the story, and the query, and make your dreams of sharing the book with the world a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments just as much as the next gal, so go ahead and tell us what's on your mind. Thanks for being here!