Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Read for Luck: Thunder Rose

This week's READ-4-LUCK pick is Thunder Rose by Jerdine Nolen and illustrated by Kadir Nelson.
Unusual from the day she is born, Thunder Rose performs all sorts of amazing feats, including building metal structures, taming a stampeding herd of steers, capturing a gang of rustlers, and turning aside a tornado.
Publisher: Harcourt, Inc.
Year: 2003
Word Count: 1,991
Book Level: 5.4
Topic: Thunder, Creativity, Perseverance
Theme: Tall tale, Western

RATINGS
CHILDREN:  A bit long for younger children (even for my 6-yr-old). He did, however, manage to listen all the way through. Older children would probably enjoy reading it alone.

PARENTS:  The language is awesome. I love all the word play, though it's not the onomatopoeia kind often found in the 2-4 age range picture books. The illustrations are fabulous, which is probably why my son managed to listen to the nearly 2,000-word book (though the story truly is very fun and he is fascinated with  both the strength of men and the severity of weather.)

TEACHERS:  You can definitely teach this to 3rd-5th grade students. It has its place in Reading, Writing, and Social Studies. I can see this in a unit on genres, especially tall tales and such. It could even work for 1st and 2nd graders.

WRITERS:  Study this one! It's a treasure trove. If you don't fall in love with the story of Thunder Rose, or the language of Jerdine Nolen's words, then maybe you'll be inspired to come up with your own tall tale to tell.

***What's your favorite tall tale?*** 

9 comments:

  1. Will check it out, thanks Christie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, a tall tale about a woman, that's a first for me. Thank you, Christie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christie, sounds like a fun read for kids. This looks like a native American story? Another reason to like this tale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love tall tales. As a child they were some of my favorites. Thanks for adding this to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds interesting. I love tall tales! I'll have to check this one out. Thanks, Christie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting, Christie! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there Christie. We, at GatheringBooks, are simply smitten by Kadir Nelson's evocative artwork and masterful storytelling. This is one book that I haven't heard of yet. I shall definitely pin this in my Pinterest board so that I am reminded to look for it next time I visit our libraries. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a character I'd like to read about! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always loved tall tales...thanks for a great review, Christie!
    I think it is important for children to hear stories like this...it helps them expand their minds and creativity...what can THEY think of that is over the top.:)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Share your thoughts below.

AddToAny

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...