Thursday, February 24, 2011

Blogiversary Alphabet: U is for Urban Dictionary

When I started my celebration of my blog anniversary for this month, also called a bloggiversary, I wanted to spell it BLO GG IVERSARY and not BLO IVERSARY. I reasoned that the two GG spelling would be more correct because blogger is spelled with two g's, anniversary has two nn's, and phonics says that the one G spelling would be pronounced BLOW-giversary.

Alas...

I asked Ms. J. Baranick over at Missed Periods and Other Grammar Scares what she thought. She consulted the Urban Dictionary, which went with the one G spelling.

I also did a Google search.
  1. "bloggiversary" yielded about 84,900 results
  2. "blogiversary" yielded about 643,000 results
So I went with the majority, even though I still believe the two G spelling would be more correct.

What about you? One G or two G's? 

Keep on keepin' on...

4 comments:

  1. I find the Urban Dictionary to be rather handy sometimes as well.

    Glad you joined the Challenge. From the looks of what you've been doing you'll do fine.

    I have added myself as a follower to your blog.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be inclined to go with two as well. Guess we're outnumbered!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen it spelled with two g's, but your argument makes a lot of sense. I think I'll start spelling it with two, and when I celebrate my third bloggiversary in March, I'll give you credit for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Maybe I should go back to doing two gg's and see if it catches like wildfire. Ya'll in?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Share your thoughts below.

AddToAny

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...