Sunday, July 18, 2010

Summer

When I went to the beach last week, I watched the 2 and 3 year old girls play in the pool of water we created in a big sand pit.  What did I do?  Covered myself with wet sand, like mud.  You can't get a sunburn if there's mud all over your arms and legs.  It actually felt kind of good.  That only lasted for about 10 minutes, though.

So here's today's poem by Myra Cohn Livingston.  I found it in an anthology for kids, Snuffles and Snouts.  The poems were selected by Laura Robb and the pictures were done by Steven Kellogg.  Enjoy!

Summertime


Was ever a pig
contented as this,
to roll in the mud 
and know the bliss
of cooling off
in the muck
and grime,
having the grubbiest 
mussiest
time?

and then, when he's cool,
to slowly rise
and dry himself off
in the summer skies,
and sniff for his supper
and slop up his feed--
What else does
a happy
piggy 
need? 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Share your thoughts below.

AddToAny

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...