Wednesday, August 11, 2010

10 for 10 Picture Books

The 10 for 10 Picture Book Blogging Event is an event that it hosted by Mandy and Cathy, two educators that love picture books!  On August 10, bloggers the world over have posted their top 10 picture books to use in the classroom.  You know, if you were stranded on an island and only had your top 10 PBs to teach with.  What a great idea!  Here's mine:

1.  The Plot Chickens by Mary Jane and Herm Auch





Henrietta loves to read.   One day, she thinks that since reading is so much fun, it must be extra fun to write a book.  She takes on the mission of learning how to write.  A great "guide" for emergent writers!





2.  Actual Size by Steve Jenkins





Who doesn't love animals?  In this book, you can teach children measurement and visual depth.  Projects are just waiting to be born through using this book.






3.  Where Have the Unicorns Gone? by Jane Yolen

book cover of 

Where Have the Unicorns Gone? 

by

Ruth Sanderson and 

Jane Yolen



This one for teaching vocabulary.  And imagination.  Even inferring about history and such.






4.  The Library Dragon by Carmen Agra Deedy





This one is a must!  What a great fun read!  The language is lovely and stretches vocabulary.  Could talk about story elements, too.






5.  Thank You, Mr. Falker by Patricia Polacco





This book gave me cold chills and almost made me cry.  That's how good it is!  A teacher helps a student learn how to read.






6.  Woolbur by Leslie Helakoski





This is a delightful read about a lamb with a free spirit.  He ends up guiding the rest of the flock toward his wild ways, but he still stays unique.  Very funny.  Lots of dialogue.  Teaches children how to be yourself, too.





7.  Scrambled States of America by Laurie Keller

Front Cover
A great resource to teach geography!  A fun read, too.  Lot's of funny pictures with the states talking to each other.  There's also companion game that goes along with it.  VERY FUN!!!




8.  Sally Jean, Bicycle Queen by Cari Best

Front Cover


When Sally Jean outgrows her beloved bicycle, Flash, she experiments with various ideas for acquiring a new, bigger one.  Teaches ingenuity and how to be clever.  Lots of fun!




Okay, I'm sure I can think of more.  Lots more, actually.  Too many, really.  But that's all I've got RIGHT NOW!  Anyway, enjoy!  And thanks, Cathy and Mandy, for this cool blogging event!

5 comments:

  1. Woolbur is one of my favorites! I just discovered Sally Jean, she is a great girl character and resourceful. Thanks for joining in the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes! I first read it this year at a Scholastic book fair.

    I thought about doing a blog post (or series...) of 10 or more books I choose from the library and telling which two books my own children would choose to read from that list. Might be fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, LOVE Where Have the Unicorns Gone. One of our favorites too. Now I need to get plot chicken, so maybe my kids can get an idea of my plight as a writer...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ingenious list! I thought THE PLOT CHICKENS was one of the best, most honest books about the writing process ever written. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a new follower!

    I'm quite interested in picture books. I'm working on my own (very late) list of ten books I must use.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Share your thoughts below.

AddToAny

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...