Friday, August 6, 2010

Make it Your Own

So last night I was reading a nonfiction dinosaur book to my 6-yr-old son (shocker) and I think I had actually read it to him once before.  He swears up and down that I have.  But it was pretty new to me, or at least I didn't really remember it.  I found it so fascinating!  There was a tidbit of info in there that would make a GREAT PB!  So now I have 101 ideas!  (I don't really know how many ideas I have, but now I have another.)

So I spent all morning today looking for the perfect way to make this info/idea my own.  It's gonna be a song.  About dinosaurs.  I know it doesn't sound original, but I can't give away all my secrets, can I?  But trust me, it IS unique!  So I searched the web for more info and got even more ideas to add to it.  It's gonna be awesome.  I had a lot of fun.

And then I poked around over there at WriteOnCon all afternoon.  And I do mean ALL.  You mean I have to go pee?  Come on!  What?  I have to eat, too?  Good grief!  Prying me away from my computer is like prying a half-eaten lollipop out of a child's mouth.

Speaking of mouths, I made a recipe all my own, too.  I looked up 3 recipes for Chicken Salad Sandwiches and copied them down.  Here's my own version:

  • 1 small 5 oz. can of chicken, drained
  • 1/3 cup celery, chopped
  • 1/3 cup grapes, halved
  • 1/3 cup pecans, crushed a bit
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1/3 Miracle Whip (or other "whipped" dressing)
(Mix all ingredients and spread over bread.  Makes 2-3 sandwiches, depending on how thick and meaty you like it.  I use the Miracle Whip because it's sweeter.  And I'm a Duke's Mayonnaise fan.  I won't use that Miracle Whip for anything else, I'm sure.)

Another thing that's good to make your own is the cover letter and the query letter.  Yes, we all know to be professional, to be ourselves, to let our writing voice shine through.  But I'm talking more about formatting, really.  I'm starting to develop my own style and format.  I just look at and read as many examples and advice as I can find.  Then I mesh them all together and use what I feel is important to me.  I'll start my letters the same way, close them the same way.  Heck, I even have a basic template now!  

Well, that's it for today.  Keep on keepin' on!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Share your thoughts below.

AddToAny

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...